Lessons from the crisis: how a value-based approach can make health systems more resilient.
The importance of resilient health systems has been put to the fore by the COVID-19 crisis, and European institutions have taken several measures to improve the crisis preparedness of health systems at EU and Member State levels. But how is health system resilience currently defined in the health policy discussion, and are we interpreting this broadly enough?
The European Alliance for Value in Health argues that we should not only focus on measuring resources and capacity building needed for pandemic preparedness, but also look at health system resilience through a broader scope. Making health systems more value-based and person-centred would not only make them better equipped to deal with health challenges in normal times, but also make them more resilient during a future health crisis. This includes optimising the prevention and management of chronic diseases which have been a key risk factor in terms of COVID-19 outcomes.
The European Alliance for Value in Health is delighted to be hosting this webinar to launch its position paper and discuss lessons from the crisis to realign health systems towards a more resilient and value-based foundation. Invited reactions will be heard from key European stakeholders.
- Thomas Allvin, co-chair of the European Alliance for Value in Health (EAVH) and the Director for Strategy and Healthcare Systems at the European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA)
- Antonella Cardone, Director of the European Cancer Patient Coalition (ECPC)
- Josep Figueras, MD, MPH, PhD (econ), FFPH, Director and co-founder of the European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies
- Mathias Goyen, Chief Medical Officer Europe, Middle East & Africa at GE Healthcare
- Giovanni Gorgoni, Chief Executive Officer of AReSS (Agenzia Regionale Strategica per la Salute e il Sociale Puglia), and President of EUREGHA (European Regional and Local Health Authorities).
- Sabrina Montante, Senior EU policy advisor at Istituto Superiore di Sanità (ISS); member of the coordinating team of the project TO REACH; Head of EU Affairs and Lecturer at the Institute of Public Health of the Faculty of Medicine of Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore
- Grace O'Malley, Ph.D, M.Sc, B.Sc is Secretary of the European Association for the Study of Obesity (EASO)
- Valentina Polylas, Director of the European Regional and Local Health Authorities (EUREGHA) network and a co-chair of the European Alliance for Value in Health (EAVH)